Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rockstar sandwiches

In the sound track of my life Just Jinger is definitely prominent on the track list! So getting to see them live is an experience that will be filed in the “wow moments” box!

Saturday, 13 Feb, they played a small, intimate gig for Valentine’s day with a Moroccan picnic theme: what an amazing night it was! Firstly, I got to check off another item on the list (#99: give someone a Valentine’s day surprise.) Kate and I went with two friends, Eddie and Udo and surprised them with an awesome picnic and so we mellowed out on the sand under ruby coloured umbrellas and prepared to be blown away by my favourite South African rock legends!

They did not disappoint. They played all my old favourites and their latest hit “Milk and Honies”. AND they threw in some surprises, like a beautiful valentine’s rendition of Nat King Cole’s “When I fall in love”. Word must be given to the absolutely mind-blowing drum piece they played; I had to scrape my jaw off the floor when they were through! (Consider that the band members have all been professional drummers at some point in their careers). Another favourite was hearing their thought provoking song about the struggle in Zimbabwe, give it a listen here: http://ardmatthews.com/2008/11/23/fight-for-zimbabwe/

And what’s that you ask? Did I get to meet the band? Why yes, yes I did! Of course we waited to get autographs and a photo and this was an opportunity I wasn’t going to let pass...with the drummer’s (Brent Harris) arm around my shoulder and front man Ard Matthews right beside me it was the best sweaty rockstar boy sandwich ever! *sigh*.

The night ended with a head full of memories and melodies, and a reminder:

“NOW is the time of your life, NOW is the time it’s a: sweet ride till the end of the line!! NOW is the time it’s the: right time to come alive!! NOW is the time of your life!!” Just Jinjer: Time of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment